Red Lentil Soup is Easy to Make
Wondering what to make your family on a chilly January afternoon?
Try this simple recipe that’s nutritious and easy to make .
All you’ll need: red lentils and an onion.
chopped in small peices
salt, pepper to taste
- Red lentils 1/2 cup
- Onion chopped in small peices 1/2
- Water cold 8 cups
- salt, pepper to taste
- olive oil 1 tsp
1. Add 1/2 chopped onion to a teaspoon of olive oil and saute for 3 minutes on medium high heat.
2. Add 8 cups cold water and 1/2 cup red lentils.
3. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium high. Cook for 45-50 minutes or until the onions are very, very soft and lentils are mush, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.
4. Skim off the foam and discard.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve warm with fresh crusty bread.
My kids like to add hot sauce to spice it up!
For a smoother version of this soup, purée in a blender.
This traditional Turkish Wedding soup can be prepared by adding fresh mint.
Double this recipe for 4 servings.
Tags: homemade soup, lentil soup, red lentils, soup