Allow berries to ripen at room temperature before preparing.
Simple to make…
1 – Crush
2 – Stir
3 – Jar
- 2 cups fresh, ripe crushed, strawberries
- 4 cups sugar (use the correct amount of sugar or jam may not set)
- 1 Tbl lemon juice
- 1 pouch liquid fruit pectin like Certo or Ball
- 5 small canning jars with lids
1) Rinse and hull berries. Cut out and discard any white pulp from inside the berry. Slice berries into quarters in large mixing bowl.
2) Crush berries with a potato masher in a large glass or Pyrex mixing bowl, not metal
3) Measure 2 cups into a medium mixing bowl. Reserve any remaining berries for another batch
4) Use a wooden spoon to stir in sugar, adding slowly, a little at a time.
5) Continue to stir until all sugar is dissolved. Skim away any foam and discard.
To dissolve sugar completely try leaving the bowl on the kitchen counter and stir a wherever you walk by. Scrape down sugar from sides of bowl often.
If the sugar won’t dissolve, cover and leave overnight. In the morning stir until all sugar dissolves.
6) In a small bowl mix lemon juice and liquid pectin well.
7) Add liquid to berries stirring continuously until completely blended.
8) Ladle into sterilized jars and set lids on lightly.
Allow jam to set 24 hours on the counter then check that the jam has set before sealing and freezing. Freeze for up to 6 months.
Defrost jam in refrigerator and refrigerate after each use